Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Welcome to the Blog

Well we have had a little about me but I wanted to expand upon that a little bit. I'm not much of a writing but the need to write down my thoughts has been growing especially since I became a vegetarian in June 2016 and then decided to go vegan in the same month. I know it might not be a long time but for me this an amazing journey and I want to share this experience.


I am the only vegan in my family and to take that a bit further I'm actually the only member of my family that doesn't eat meat let alone dairy. I grew up on a diet of meat and dairy however I only had around two meals a week containing meat. When I started university in September 2014 I moved away from home and lived in student accommodation and during this time I ate a LOT of meat and takeaway food and between then, moving into my own house with my non-vegan boyfriend (September 2015) and finishing my second year of uni in May 2016 I had gained around 2 stone!


By this point I felt so uncomfortable with myself and how I looked, so I joined a poplar British sliming group and it showed me how unhealthy I actually was! and I actually thought my diet was pretty good. I had been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while especially after studying Indian religions (I'm studying a BA (Hons) Religious Studies) and I was amazed by how much things like protection of animals was such a part of their lives. I know that that sounds stupid now but I grew up not believing that the meat on my plate was anything other than food. I had been disassociated from the fact that my meat was a living, breathing animal.


My boyfriend and I got our beautiful little puppy in January 2016 and it was only after that did I slowly begin to gain a realisation. I saw a pin on Pinterest which was about the dog meat eating festival in China and I sat and cried and hug Lola (my puppy) so tight. After that I read something about how badly cows are treated when they go through the slaughtering process and I was astonished! I kept thinking 'why had I never known about this before!' From there I stopped eating meat altogether. As I did more research and watched more documentaries like 'Forks Over Knifes', 'Cowspiracy' and 'Earthlings' (I was only able to watch the trailer before wanted to be sick) and reading books like 'Skinny Bitch'.


From this I decided I needed to go vegan.


I hope that you will join me on my journey as a vegan in South Wales being surrounded by non-vegans. I want to use this blog as a way to write down my thoughts, find likeminded people, share vegan recipes that I discover and much more!


You can also see my journey in pictures on Instagram: @thewelshvegan_

No comments:

Post a Comment